North Shore Coastal Erosion: Planning for Solutions
We’re continuing our discussion about coastal erosion on Oʻahu’s North Shore—and the variety of proposed solutions to save the sand, homes, roads, and the coastal ecosystem. We start off at Sunset Beach with coastal geologist, Dolan Eversole, from the University of Hawaiʻi Sea Grant College Program. We take a look at the restoration of sand dunes using native vegetation and strategic fencing with Tim Tybuszewski from the North Shore Community Land Trust. We also talk about how the beach and nearshore waters have changed with long-time Sunset Beach resident, Buddy Shepard. And, we head over to Haleʻiwa Beach Park with Kathleen Pahinui, Chair of the North Shore Neighborhood Board, to discuss how community input is integral to solving these issues of coastal erosion.
Watch the trailer for Season 9, Episode 3 on Vimeo, on YouTube, or on Vimeo with English Subtitles.
Watch the related episode North Shore Coastal Erosion, Season 9, Episode 2.
- Grades 2-4: NSTA Activity Sand Dune Erosion in a Box
- Grade 3: The Forces of Waves
- Activity: Eroding Beaches
- Aloha ʻĀina Activity: Wetlands Protect Land and Sea
- NERRS: Climate Change and Rising Sea Levels
- Grades 6-12: Introduction to Coastal Interactions
- Activity: Coastline Wave Tank
- Activity: Coastal Engineering
- Further Investigations: Beaches and Sand
- Climate Connections: Sea Level Rise
- Grades 6-12: Wave-Coast Interactions
- Further Investigations: Wave-Coast Interactions
- Hawaiʻi Sea Grant
- Hawaiʻi Dune Restoration Manual
- National Assessment of Shoreline Change: Historical Shoreline Change in the Hawaiian Islands
- Hawaiʻi Coastal Erosion Management Plan (DLNR)
- Follow Hawaiʻi Sea Grant on Facebook, Instagram @hawaii_sea_grant, or Twitter @HawaiiSeaGrant
- North Shore Community Land Trust
- Paumalū (Sunset Beach) Dune Restoration
- Pūpūkea-Paumalū Restoration
- Kalaeokaunaʻoa (Kahuku Point) Restoration
- Follow Surfrider on Facebook or Instagram @northshorecommunitylandtrust
- North Shore Sustainable Communities Plan
- Coastal Erosion in the News
- Hawaii Public Radio (with SeaGrant’s Dolan Eversole): How Can Hawaiʻi Adapt to Coastal Erosion?
- Hawaiʻi Sea Grant’s Shellie Habel presents solution options to DLNR
- Hawaiʻi Magazine: Why Hawaiʻi’s Beaches are Disappearing at an Alarming Rate
- Live Science: 70% of the beaches on Kauai, Maui and Oahu are chronically eroding
Select a season of Voice of the Sea
Kanesa Seraphin, Ph.D.