In this episode, we meet legendary surf forecaster Pat Caldwell. Pat has been predicting ocean conditions in Hawaiʻi for over 30 years. Pat talks about the most important factors in predicting waves. He also explains rouge waves, tsunamis, and the dynamics of wave forecasting.
Watch the trailer for Season 2, Episode 3 on Vimeo or Youtube.
Or watch this episode on YouTube
- Grade 4: Surfing the Waves
- Activity: Surfing the Waves
- Traditional Ways of Knowing: History of Surfing in Hawai’i
- Grades 6-12: Sea States
- Compare-Contrast-Connect: Swell Forecasting From Weather Patterns
- Compare-Contrast-Connect: Estimating Wave Height
- Compare-Contrast-Connect: The Origin and Diversity of Surf Crafts
- NOAA and the National Weather Service Oʻahu Surf Forecast, featuring detailed forecast information by Patrick Caldwell
- NOAA’s National Center for Environmental Information feature on Patrick Caldwell and the story of how he became a surf forecaster
IN THIS SECTION
Select a season of Voice of the Sea
Kanesa Seraphin, Ph.D.