Open House of the Sea
We visit the SOEST open house to learn about earthquakes, volcanoes, waves, and the sounds of the sea. Meet Garret Apuzen-Ito, Ph.D. and Jonathan Weiss to learn about eathquakes, geophones, and seismic activity. Talk with Jared Marske Ph.D. to learn aobout volcanos and vulcanology. Then, explore a wave tank and learn about coastal erosion, sediment transport, Bernoilli Principle with Geno Pawlak, Ph.D. Our last stop is the sound lab, where Tom Fedenczuk, Ph.D. shows us how researchers study underwater sound and pressure waves using underwater hydrophones.
Watch the trailer for Season 1, Episode 10 on Vimeo or Youtube.
Or watch this episode on YouTube
- Grade 4: Whale Communication
- Activity: Harmonizing with Humpbacks
- Traditional Ways of Knowing: Whale Communication
- Grades 6-12: Layers of Earth
- Compare-Contrast-Connect: Seismic Waves and Determining Earth’s Structure
IN THIS SECTION
Select a season of Voice of the Sea
Kanesa Seraphin, Ph.D.