We’re rehabilitating green sea turtles (honu) with the Maui Ocean Center Marine Institute. We rescue a turtle, learn about the latest techniques in turtle care, and witness the release of recovered patient MA164. Then, we explore the Maui Ocean Center and talk-story with the center’s cultural advisor and general manager.
Watch the trailer for Season 8, Episode 6 on Vimeo, on YouTube, or with English subtitles on Vimeo.
- MOC Marine Institute: Sea Turtle Facts
- Grades K-5: Maui Ocean Center (MOC): Ocean Classroom
- Grades 6-12: Exploring Our Fluid Earth Reptiles
- Activity: Identifying Sea Turtles
- Weird Science: Marine Debris and Oceanic Gyres
- Compare-Contrast-Connect: The Deep Divers
- World Wildlife Fund: Sea Turtle Toolkit (resource guide and six activities)
Report a Tagged or Injured Sea Turtle:
Maui Tagged Sea Turtle Sighting: Online report form
Maui Sea Turtle Stranding (and Injury) Hotline: 808-286-2549
- Statewide Marine Animal Response Hotline: 888-256-9840
- Statewide Hawaiʻi Marine Animal Response: Website
- Maui Ocean Center Marine Institute (MOCMI): Mission to inspire lifelong environmental stewardship and ensure the survival of coral reefs and sea turtles in Hawaiʻi through science-based conservation efforts, education, and outreach.
- Website (visit to sign up for their newsletter!)
- Honu treatment numbers: MOCMI Stranding response reports
- Follow @mocmarineinstitute on Instagram and Facebook
- Adopt a Honu!
- Honu Hero Beach Program: calling all residents and visitors!
- Email to Volunteer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Maui Ocean Center (MOC): Mission to foster understanding, wonder, and respect for Hawai‘i’s marine life. E hi‘i a maopopo kaho‘oha‘oha‘o ana a me ka hō‘ihi no ka Hawai‘i ola ma ke kai.
MOC Marine Institute works in collaboration with NOAA Fisheries. All sea turtle response, rehabilitation, and tagging authorized under NOAA Permit: 21260.
IN THIS SECTION
Select a season of Voice of the Sea
Kanesa Seraphin, Ph.D.