Engineering Tsunami Resilience
We investigate how engineers study and design buildings to withstand destructive forces, like tsunamis. We’ll learn about the dangers to Hawai’i, the plan for vertical evacuation in Honolulu, and the new building code. We talk with distinguished professor, Dr. Ian Robertson, award-winning engineer Gary Chock, and Dean of the University of Hawaii’s College of Engineering, Dr. Ron Riggs.
Watch the trailer for Season 5, Episode 11 on Vimeo or Youtube.
- Grade 3: Natural Hazards
- Activity: Designs That Survive Storms
- Grades 6-12: Tsunamis
- Activity: Sendai, Japan Tsunami Animation
- Activity: Tsunami Warning System Poster
- University of Hawaiʻi Mānoa College of Engineering
- NOAA resources on tsunamis.
- Engineering ASCE 7 building code
- Coastal States Organization Tsunami Fact Sheet
IN THIS SECTION
Select a season of Voice of the Sea
Kanesa Seraphin, Ph.D.