We’re celebrating the Year of the Limu at the Hāna Limu Festival on Maui, where limu experts and limu lovers from across Hawaiʻi have gathered to share knowledge, observe local limu, and celebrate this culturally, and environmentally critical food resource.
We talk-story with Uncle Wally Ito, Limu Hui Coordinator, Malia Heimuli and former Co-Director of (KUA) Kuaʻāina Ulu ʻĀūamo, Miwa Tamanaha—to what we can do to sustain and perpetuate native limu in our nearshore waters. We start off talking to Hāna Limu Festival organizers Scott Crawford and Claudia Kalaola.
Watch the trailer for Season 9, Episode 7 on Vimeo, on YouTube, or on Vimeo with English Subtitles.
Watch related limu episodes: Cesspool Contamination Revealed by Invasive Algae; Deep Sea Algae; Intertidal Algae and Invertebrates; Fish No Take; and Restoring a Hawaiian Fishpond
- Grade 5: Energy from the Sun
- Activity: Understanding Food Webs
- Grades 6-12: What Are Aquatic Plants and Algae?
- Activity: Algae Identification with Dichotomous Key
- Activity: Making Algae Presses
- 1987 DOE: Limu (Learning About Hawaiʻi’s Edible Seaweeds)
- Nā Mamo o Mūʻolea
- Kuaʻāina Ulu ʻAuamo (KUA)
- Year of the Limu
- Limu Hui
- Follow KUA on Facebook or Instagram
- Hawaiʻi Sea Grant Limu Resources
- Online Resources
- 2019 UH Hilo Research Paper: Seaweed resources of the Hawaiian Islands
- 1974 Paper: Limu: Edible Hawaiian Seaweeds (1974)
- Waikīkī Aquarium: Limu Webpage
- UH Botany: Edible Limu of Hawaiʻi
- Papahānaumokuākea Limu Poster
- Hawaiʻi Public Radio (listen or read): These community leaders are advancing limu education and restoration efforts
- Ka Wai Ola: Limu as Food and Culture
- FLUX: The Lure of Eating More Limu
- Maui Magazine: The Lure of Limu
- Limu Restoration Efforts
Select a season of Voice of the Sea
Kanesa Seraphin, Ph.D.